Where do you like to write?
I like to write in my office. I have author friends who can write in hotels, cafes, beaches, parks, planes – anywhere really! But I find it hard to write when I’m on the run, so I like to set up my own little ‘happy place’ where I get most of my work done.
Note: I’m actually about to move to a new office, so this is a timely post for me!
I deliberately fill my office with things that I like. The reason for this is that every time I walk into my office, I feel positive. I should want to be there.
Here is a list of some of the things I keep in my office to put me in a good mood:
- LEGO sets. Building LEGO relaxes my mind and I do a lot of brainstorming that way.
- Illustrator artwork. I’ve been lucky to work with some extremely talented illustrators, and I like to keep some of their work on display.
- As a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan, I’m building a signed ball collection.
- Vinyl records. Music has always been a big part of my life. I’ll often listen to music when I’m brainstorming, but never when I’m editing!
- Books. For obvious reasons!
My writing spaces have changed and morphed over the years. When I first started writing, my wife suggested we clean out the garage to create a special writing space. This was a great space as it was separate from the rest of the house and nice and quiet.
What about you? Where do you like to write? Let me know in the comments.